Monday, March 13, 2006

Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia

I read kid books. I read young adult books. Not just because it is my job to know what is out there, but there is a lot of great kid and ya books being published. They tell a great story, have wonderful characters, and weave magic in hearts and souls. I read one yesterday that captured me.
I read a newspaper review about this book and decided I definitely had to read this one. Fame and Glory in Freedom, Georgia by Barbara O'Connor was such an enjoyable read. Bird is an outcast, she has no friends in Freedom, Georgia. She has two goals in life: one is to get noticed in Freedom and the second is to go to Disney World. Bird might get her chance to reach both goals in one shot. Her school decided to participate in a statewide spelling bee. The only drawback is that each participant must have a partner and no one will ever ask Bird, so she must find a partner. She asks Harlem, another social outcast in Freedom, to be her partner. Harlem finally agrees to be her partner and if they study hard enough, Bird might get everything she has ever wanted.

No comments: