Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume





Every generation needs one.... A friend who will tell you that it is okay to worry about whether your boobs will ever get big.. A friend who will worry with you about starting your period. A friend who knows what it is like when your parents get divorced and you think that you are the cause of it. Judy Blume has been that friends for many young adults.

Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume edited by Jennifer O'Connell is a series of essays written by authors whose life has been impacted by the writings of Judy Blume. Each author talks about how they could identify with the main character of each book they read. Judy Blume was the first woman to look girls straight in the eye and tell it the way it is.

Is there a Judy Blume for this generation? I hope so.. It's amazing that we ever got along without her.

No comments: