Sunday, February 12, 2006

Copper Sun

I generally don't write to authors, but I just finished this great book, so I had to. Copper Sun by Sharon Draper is the story of Amari, a fifteen year old African girl who is stolen from her village and sold to the highest bidder. She is given to the master's 16 year old son as a birthday gift. Amari learns that even in captivity there are people who love her, but nothing is more important than freedom.

Even though this book is considered a fiction title, the facts of the story are true. During the 1700s in this country slave trade was a booming business. Draper tells the story about Fort Mose, two miles north of St. Augustine, Florida where if slaves could make it to Fort Mose they were free. I had never heard of this town before, I thought all slaves headed north, not south.

Draper includes many resources; including books and web sites, for teachers to use in continuing the study of slavery in America. I highly recommend that this book be used as a companion book for US History teachers and students.

No comments: