Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Lightning Thief


As a lover of great books, I often find myself reading the same type of book over and over and over again. This year I decided that I would try and expand my horizon and diversify my reading habits. Reading The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan is a book for young adults that I never would have read if I hadn't tried to expand my reading habits. It was a delightful book and I am anxiously awaiting the next in the series when it comes out in April 2006.

Percy Jackson is a 12 year old boy who has ADHD and is about to get kicked out of boarding school... again. Percy can't just stand by and let a bully at school pick on his scrawny best friend. Percy lives with his mother and his loser stepfather, who can't stand the sight of Pearcy. On his way home from boarding school mythical creatures begin popping up everywhere. Percy then believes that the Roman and Greek gods are alive and well in the 21st century. And he realizes that he has made one of them very very angry. Percy sets off on a quest to find Zeus's stolen lightning bolt and return it to him. He also finds out that he may be the son of a god!!!

This is a really good book and would be a great companion book to use when teaching the Greek and Roman gods. It places the gods during our time and the reader see how the gods would work and play in our society.. Great book.

No comments: