Saturday, February 17, 2007

Dinosaurs Before Dark


I am looking for a book. Several teachers have asked us to expand our book club to also have a selection for younger readers, so I need to find some books.Someone suggested that I take a look at the Magic Tree House books. I really don't know much about them and don't know if our kids would enjoy them.
Well, I just finished my first and still haven't made up my mind. The book, Dinosaurs Before Dark by Mary Pope Osborne was an okay book about a brother, Jack and his younger sister Annie. They find an old tree house that is filled with books and immediately open a book that is about dinosaurs. They next thing you know they are in a land of dinosaurs and exploring the dinosaurs.
I liked the book especially because of the young characters. Also there is a non fiction piece that goes along with most of the books. I like the tie in with books taking you to new and different places. But I am concerned about the vocabulary and wonder if the books are too popular and our kids won't be excited about them. Also it looks like every four books is in a different category; the first four are The Mystery of the Tree House and the second four are Mystery of the Magic Spell. Oh no, what if the kids get into them and then some parent complains about magic spells??? I think I need to read some more the figure out what we might be getting into.

No comments: