Sunday, May 20, 2007

Eggs


Whenever I pick up a book and am thinking about reading it, I always look at the cover art. The book, Eggs, written by Jerry Spinelli, has my mind predicting about this book. First, I look at the cover art. As you can see it is a pretty neat cover. I think back to my teenage years and wonder what a picture of six eggs might represent. Oh no, surely it isn't about egging, Which I know nothing about. :-) Maybe it is about a farm or maybe someone is getting pregnant.. The cover really makes me want to read the book. It is amazing that the title isn't even on the cover, yet I knew what the title was immediately.

David is a nine year old boy whose mother has accidentally died. He lives with his grandmother, while his father, a salesman, comes home on the weekends. David is in so much pain that he refuses to make friends with anyone in his town and is mean to his grandmother. He eventually build a strange friendship with a thirteen year old girl named Primrose. Primrose is sarcastic and hurts almost as much as David. She lives with a flighty psychic mother and a framed picture of her "father." Despite their differences, David and Primrose forge a tight yet tumultuous friendship, eventually helping each other deal with what is missing in their lives.

This book grabbed me by the throat and wouldn't let me go... I ached for this two kids, I wanted to move them in with me and wrap my arms around them. the both needed someone to love them.

No comments: