Saturday, May 05, 2007

Tallgrass

Whenever I read a new author I am always a little apprehensive. " Will I like the writing style or the author's voice?", "Will I get what they are trying to say?," or some other anxiety thought provoking idea. One thing is for sure I really got Sandra Dallas and her new book, Tallgrass. Tallgrass tells the story of a 13 year old girl growing up in a Colorado town that opens up a Japanese internment camp during WWII. This is a town that Rennie does know. Being a child raised in a world of fairness and equality, Rennie has never seen murder, prejudice, mistreatment of other people or being asked to keep secrets. After reading the book, we know that Rennie sees the world from a different perspective.

This book is part historical novel and part thriller. It shows the worst of times and the best of time. The reader gets to see good and evil.

This was my first Sandra Dallas book, but it won't be my last.

1 comment:

Nattie said...

I love Sandra Dallas. The only one of her books I haven't read is the Chili Queen book. Tallgrass was excellent.