Sunday, June 04, 2006

Here Lies the Librarian


I have read several Richard Peck books lately and like them. His latest book, Here Lies the Librarian, is extremely well written and enjoyable. My only problem is I can't figure out what the title of the book has to do with the story.

Fourteen year old Eleanor "Pee-Wee" McGrath, a tomboy and an automobile enthusiast, discovers new possibilities for her future after the 1914 arrival in her small Indiana town of four young librarians. Ya, that is what the book jacket says the book is about, but more time was spent talking about the Indiana race, the fore runner of the Indianapolis 500, then the librarians. Maybe I missed something. Who knows?

The book is suppose to be fiction, yet, at the end of the book is a newspaper article about the running of the 500 but Janet Gutherie, who I know ran in the 500. Was part of the story based on actual events? I hate it when I don't know and have to begin looking up research about things. It would be a great book to use with a history book studying the early automobile industry .

No comments: