Sunday, June 11, 2006

Al Capone Does My Shirts

I really really liked this book. Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko is a fiction book that is based on historical facts. The story takes place in 1935 on the island of Alcatraz. Moose Flanagan's father is an electrician and prison guard at the Alcatraz prison. Moose is one of twenty three other kids who live on the island with murderers, rapists, thieves, con men, and other hard core criminals. Moose's sister is autistic and part of the story deals with trying to get her into a special school. The other part of the story is the adventures the kids have on the island and trying to stay out of trouble with the warden and their parents.
Al Capone is a prisoner in Alcatraz and holds a great deal of interest to the kids.

I loved the character of Moose. He reminded me of the typical teenager, who wants to be responsible but yet still be a kid. " I want to be here like I want poison oak on my private parts" is one of my favorite Moose quotes. This is a great book that I think students would really enjoy.

No comments: