Monday, June 19, 2006

A Most Uncommon Degree of Popularity

I love it when I book I am reading hits me upside the head and says” Pay attention, I ‘m talking to you.” A Most Uncommon Degree of Popularity by Kathleen Gilles Seidel is one of those books. It is a book that every middle and high school mother needs to read, it was a books I could really relate to. I wish I would have read it when my baby was in junior high instead of in college.

Lydia Meadows, a former attorney and now full time mother, is shocked to discover that her daughter, Erin, is one of the popular girls along with three of her friends. Lydia has always thought the popular girls were snotty and ambitious little manipulators. But her daughter was not anything like that. A new girl arrives in town and she decides to raise her popularity by stepping all over Erin. Erin is no longer included in all the activities and her phone is no longer ringing 24/7. The question is who is this bothering more: Erin or her mother, Lydia?

This book really looks at this whole issue of popularity and being on the outside looking in. Changing peer relationships is an outgrowth of adolescence and a normal part of growing up, yet sometimes the parents have a more difficult time in adjusting to the changes of friends and families. This is a great book and would be a great discussion book for mothers whose child is moving from elementary to junior high or from junior high to high school.

No comments: