Saturday, April 05, 2008

The Invention of Hugo Cabret


I went on a reading weekend with my f2f book club and wanted to try and get at least one book finished for one of my challenges...I am so glad that I read this one.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick is the recent winner of the Caldecott Award, which is giving each year to the best picture book. "Hugo" is not your typical picture book, it is 533 pages long where a picture books is about 32 pages. The author uses a combination of orginal drawing, movie stills, and photographs to make his story come alive with the text. It is a very fascinating and original book.

Hugo tells the story of a young man living in Paris, whose life is surrounded in secrets and mystery. His life intertwines with a bookish school girl and an eccentric old man who runs a toy shop in the train station where Hugo works.

Great book.. I highly recommend it.

No comments: